The story behind our company
In 1931, at the age of 23, René GROSPIRON set up the Company rue Portefoin, in Paris’ 3rd arrondissement.
Through his father in law, he belonged to a family of traditional stonecutters from Lélex, a village in the Valserine valley, and a hamlet called Les Moussières, located about twenty kilometers from Saint-Claude.
His younger brother Jean, a synthetic stone lapidary, preferred to stay in the Jura. Years later, he would be the proud grandfather of Edgar GROSPIRON – the famous Olympic ski medalist.
In spite of the difficulties of the Great Depression of the 1930s, the trade in semi precious and synthetic stones developed rapidly, and after several changes of location in Paris’ Marais district, René GROSPIRON finally settled down in 1946 at 34 rue Drouot in the 9th arrondissement.
Founded in April 1945, LA PIERRE DU JURA (SARL) became a public limited company in 1954. The official name of the company would change as well in March of 1958, becoming GROSPIRON and Co. (SA), and at last GROSPIRON Establishments (SA) in 1968. The company adopted the SAS statute (simplified joint stock company) in February of 2001.
In 1975, René GROSPIRON died. His descendants, first Gérard and Claude, then Marie-Laure, Xavier and Benjamin continued after him developing the business.
The first stonecutter’s workshop for precious stones in the Moussières became operational in 1959, and the second at La Pesse in 1962, followed, in 1964, by the Echallon workshop, also located in the high Jura plateau.
Today, all of the stone cutting activity is centered on Moussières and Paris.
In parallel to this traditional stone cutting activity, GROSPIRON began to complement its profile by developing its commerce in pearls, by 1961, and diamonds in 1971.
In 1991, the continuing evolution of the sector encouraged the company to develop its own line of jewels, called the GROSPIRON COLLECTION intended for French retail jewelers.
In November of 2008, the Ministry of the Economy awarded the Grospiron Company with the prestigious label “Entreprise du Patrimoine Vivant”, recognizing the excellence of its stone cutting savoir-faire and its efforts to perpetrate the apprenticeship in this highly qualified craft.
In January 2011, Grospiron attained its certification as a member of the international RJC (Responsible Jewelry Council). It provides evidence of responsible business practices (ethical, social and environmental) throughout the diamond supply chain.